Anyway, Sarah blogs about all of the different recipes that she tries out. Examples of her smoothies include Green Machine, Jovie Jamba, and Spring Juice.
This is great, but it's led to a real rift in the house about what a smoothie should taste like. Sarah prefers bold flavors with a lot of one ingredient. For instance, she has made smoothies that have contained a buttload of mint or a crapload of pineapple. Personally, I find the flavor sensations of these smoothies to be way too strong, and often times I can't even drink them.
Therefore, I wish to provide my own formula for how to make a great smoothie. The ideal Matt Smoothie contains the following (I make a whole Vitamix container at a time, which is about three glasses of smoothie):
- 1-2 bananas - For some reason, I have a hard time imagining a smoothie without a banana. I think it does so much for the taste and consistency.
- 3 heaping tablespoons of Yogurt - For the protein and added creaminess.
- Handful of oats - My sister-in-law suggested this to me and now I always do it. It adds a little more substance and helps me to feel full.
- 2-3 handfuls of greens (spinach, chard, or kale) - They're good for you, so be generous.
- A few handfuls of fruit - This is where I like to mix and match based on what I have. Generally, my rule of thumb is to add lower quantities of a variety of fruits, whether they're fresh or frozen. For example, one smoothie might contain strawberries, kiwi, a pear, and pineapple, while another might have figs, watermelon, mixed berries, and mango. I like to try different combinations, but I don't like one fruit to be overpowering - I like my flavors to be more subtle.
- A few helpings of vegetables - This is also a mixture of what I have available. Usual suspects include frozen peas, carrots, cucumber, and beets. Again, not too much of any one thing.
- Water - More than anything this helps with the blending process and makes the smoothie drinkable rather than thick.
Lastly, Sarah says that this blog needs a picture, so here's a squirrel drinking a smoothie: